Saturday 28 September 2013

Nostalgia

As I was picking Saskatoon berries at The Saskatoon Farm with my friends, I was thinking of the time I picked apples from an orchards in Montreal. I was a kid but I don't know exactly how old I was. My family was there and I was picking anything that was big and red with the perfect shape. I was worried that worms would pop out. I don't know what apples they were, nor did I remember its taste. One thing that I remembered vividly was the cool weather. The sun was setting as the sky turned orange and the air was getting breezy. We had to hurry to fill our baskets up to be in time so Dad can cook them at home for supper that day. And then the next day, and the next...
Fast forward two decades later and here I am, picking up where I left off. Except it's not the same farm. The fruit is one-tenth of an apple in size. The day was getting hotter as we were in the middle of August. And my pits were getting sweaty as we picked for more than 3 hours to fill two pails. All of our hard work did pay off as we were able to make...
Saskatoon Berry Hand Pies!
It actually took me several weeks to get to these results. Recipe below will actually make a batch of nine hand pies.

Crust:
I followed the recipe from Serious Eats with some modifications. I referred to this site because it explains better.
-Egg white

Filling:
-4 cups of Saskatoon berries
-2 tbsp of corn starch
-1/2 cup of sugar
-1 tsp of cinnamon

1. Prepare the dough a day in advance.
2. Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl.

3. Roll out the dough to and trim to 18" by 15". Cut into 9 equal rectangles.
4. Add about 3 tablespoons of the berries in a the centre of a sheet and brush the seams with egg white.
5. Fold about a quarter of the sheet length wise and brush the middle seam.
6. Fold the quarter of the sheet over. You'll have to pull the edge a little so it overlaps the other.
7. Flip it over. Using a fork, press on the edges. Cut 3 vents. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Place it on cookie sheet with parchment paper.
8. Once the cookie sheet is full, bake at 375°F for about 20 minutes.
Below is a video that I took at The Saskatoon Farm. Nothing in particular stood out but I still enjoyed the view nonetheless.



No comments:

Post a Comment