Monday 4 February 2013

Eat it, Corey!

I could never understand why people like to eat pies à la mode. Personally, I prefer warm desserts but I can understand why many like it cold. Pies are sweet as is and to add ice cream on top of that, it's just too much. It also makes the crust soggy unless you consume it within a matter of minutes right after putting ice cream on the pie.

I invited my friends over once to try my pie and one of them was disappointed to learn that I didn't have ice cream. I baked a fresh apple pie and when I looked into my freezer, I saw a medium-sized Wendy's Frosty. My friend immediately shouted 'Eat it, Corey!' That's when I found out he snuck it in the freezer when I wasn't looking. I'm still surprised that he went out of his way to buy a Frosty just to compliment my pie.

Well, lucky for him, I had ice cream yesterday when he came over for the Super Bowl.
I still need to work on taking good pictures.
I made a 9-inch apple pie yesterday but it was the first one using the same seriouseats.com's technique that I've been using in recent weeks. Probably the best 9-inch pie I've made to date as it wasn't runny at all; apples were soft; and the crust was crispy. Well, on areas without the ice cream anyway. Almonds don't really work with pies but they go well with ice cream.
Baked at 425°F for the first 25 minutes and then 375°F for the last 20.
As for the crust, it's good but not perfect. I'm starting to think that this is probably the best this technique and recipe will get for me. Nonetheless, it was a delicious pie!
And it looked good! One thing I've noticed is that it's easier to make a 9-inch pie over an apple pot pie.
Baked fresh at 425°F for the first 20 minutes and then
375°F for the last 15.
There seems to be a fine line between under-cooking and over-cooking an apple pot pie. I tend to over-cook a little only because I want the crust to be crispy. Under-cooking a pie results in crispy apples and very little juice. The margin between under-cooking and over-cooking an apple pie seems to be within 3 to 5 minutes. The pot pie that you see right above was made last week and it was a little runny. This is compared to the fresh pie made in my last post where it was baked 5 minutes less.
Baked fresh at 425°F for the first 15 minutes and then
375°F for the last 15.
I'll have to try it with less apples in the future. However, for next week, my friend asked me to make a berry pie.
Hopefully, it won't be a humble pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment